What Is Evaluation Research? A Brief Guide on Methods & Types
Are you required to conduct evaluation research for your studies but do not know much about it? Do not worry, as we will help you in this regard. In this article, we will explain what it means to evaluate research. We will also explain about the methods and types. Read on further to know more about the topic.
What is Evaluation Research?
Also known as program evaluation, evaluation research refers to the purpose of research instead of being referred to as a specific method. It can be called the systematic evaluation of the merit of effort, resources, and money spent to achieve a goal.
It is a type of applied research which carries real-world effects in it. Several types of experiments and surveys can be employed to conduct this research. The systematic and rigorous evaluation research process involves data collection from diverse organisations, processes, services, projects or resources. It enhances knowledge, improves students’ decision-making skills and has further practical applications in everyday life.
What is the Significance of Evaluation Research?
The common and most useful purpose of conducting evaluation research is to derive meaningful information from the respective audience, which will, in turn, provide further worthy insights to evaluators. It brings together relevant donors, sponsors, client-groups, staff and constituencies. It also helps improve the systematic utilisation of the quantifiable feedback derived from the surveys.
The general benefits of conducting evaluation research are as follows:
- You will be better able to have a record of valuable insights about a program and know-how of its operations.
- It will help you gauge your past performance and comprehend what needs to be improved to deliver better services to your clients.
- After conducting it, you will be able to judge and analyse how good you are at meeting the targets and objectives of the company.
- The evaluations derived based on evaluation research assist you in analysing the demand and supply pattern of your products or services.
- You can use the evaluations to assess whether you need more funds, improve the efficiency of operations, or upgrade your skills.
- Evaluation research will help you better to find gaps in the production process to the delivery chain, and you will be able to figure out the possible ways to fill such gaps.
Let us further discuss the methods employed to conduct evaluation research and the types of such research.
What Are The Methods Of Conducting Evaluation Research?
Almost all research methods involve data collection and analysis, along with making decisions about the accuracy of the data collected. You will also be required to derive relevant inferences from it. It comprises planning, organising, conducting and analysing the conclusions, which require the use of data collection techniques and the usage of statistical methods.
The two broad categories of the evaluation research methods are the following:
- Quantitative Methods
- Qualitative Methods
Let us discuss these methods in detail now.
The quantitative methods of evaluation research are employed when you need an answer to the following questions:
- How many?
- The detail of the elements involved?
- A detail of the outcomes: What were the results?
- What were the prices of the resources?
These research methods are used to measure something tangible. The best way to collect data for such research is through polls, questionnaires and surveys. Pre-tests and post-tests can also be created, existing documents can be reviewed, and databases can be consulted for getting clinical data.
When quantitative research methods fail, qualitative evaluation research methods should be used. Such research methods are used to measure intangible values. They are used when you need an answer to questions like the following:
- What is the value added to the operations using individual elements?
- How satisfied can your client be with your products or services?
- How likely will it be to recommend your services to the individual’s friends?
- What measures should be adopted to improve the performance of a company?
Qualitative data is usually collected through interviews, case studies, observations, focus groups etc. the important steps for carrying out a qualitative study involve examining, comparing, contrasting and understanding patterns.
What Are A Few Examples Of Evaluation Research?
The impeccable evaluation research questions lay the foundation for a successful evaluation. Such questions define the topics to be evaluated. It would help if you always focused on keeping such questions ready as it will help you save time and money and make it easier to decide how to collect data, analyse and report methods.
Such questions must be crafted and developed in the research planning stage. You can also use ready-made research templates to develop such questions.
Examples of Evaluation Research Questions:
Some of the best evaluation research questions are the following:
- How often do you use our products in a day?
- Can you work on reporting the issue from the system?
- Can you submit the feedback using the system?
- Was each task done following the guidelines of standard operating procedures?
- What were the barriers encountered and faced during the implementation of each task?
- Were there any improvement areas found? If yes, what were they?
- Were necessary approvals taken from all the stakeholders?
Some evaluation research questions which can be used to evaluate the outcome of a research process are the following:
- How satisfied are you with our products or services?
- Did our product produce the expected outcomes?
- Were there any unexpected outcomes? If yes, what were those?
- Has the program or operations served the purpose of increasing the knowledge of participants? Will the participants develop enough skills to land a job once the course ends?
- Has participation in a certain course increased the knowledge of participants?
Conducting evaluation research is fundamental for organisations as they strive to make products, services or courses that address their target users’ needs. We hope you will find this article useful in analysing how you can conduct it for your products. However, at any point, if you feel stuck, you can hire the academic writing services of The Academic Papers UK so that experts may conduct the evaluation research for you.